new elliott ministry center | brenda baker
Hi everyone! My name is Brenda Baker. I was born and raised in the Hammond/Calumet City area. I have one son, Bryan, his wife Christina, and three beautiful grandchildren, who are my life. I retired from NIPSCO/NiSource in 2010 after 39 years of service. I retired again from Crown Point Community School Corp. in June of 2020. I graduated from Purdue Calumet (now Northwest) with a Bachelor of Arts Degree in Organizational Leadership and Supervision in 2003.
I started attending GFCC in March 3 years ago. Prior to that I attended Suncrest Christian Church in St. John. At Suncrest I was very involved with Children’s Ministry. After attending GFCC for several months, I decided I was missing serving at my church, so became involved in child care at GFCC. While still working, I continuously saw the need for volunteers during the day, during the week, at the Ministry Center. I new that after I retired (once again) that my heart would take me there. When the Pandemic closed the schools and churches, but not the Ministry Center, I immediately became involved. God led me there with my heart full of wanting to help. On the day that we were informed that the Deaconess of the Ministry Center was leaving immediately, God led me to say yes to the challenge of keeping that Ministry going. So since then, a team of absolutely awesome volunteers and myself are determined in our hearts and with Gods help, to continue feeding hungry people in our area. Believe me, it has been a challenge, but loving (almost) every minute of it. I am proud to be a volunteer for such a great Ministry, and will continue to be so as long as my old body, and our glorious God, will let me.
Some Facts about me:
- I was 40 years old when I started college, and 50 years old when I graduated.
- I have retired twice, and work harder now than ever.
- My son and his family are the most important people in my life, and that is my most enjoyable time, every minute I get to spend with them.
- I also love dogs, but purposely keep moving in to places that don’t allow pets because my life is too busy to care properly for one, so I just enjoy other people’s pets. (If you ever need a pet sitter, I’d love to!)
- I tend to get a bit edgy when I’m stressed. Just ask my volunteers. So sorry peeps.
- I really, really, really dislike mustard, lemon/lime, roast beef.